用户名: 密码:    
切换为不分页显示
【论坛首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 主题:双语阅读:奥巴马总统在仰光大学的演讲

字体:    回复
双语阅读:奥巴马总统在仰光大学的演讲
zona(2012/12/7 21:36:50)  点击:52780  回复:0  IP:219.* * *
PRESIDENT OBAMA:  Thank you.  (Applause.)  Myanmar Naingan, Mingalaba!  (Laughter and applause.)  I am very honored to be here at this university and to be the first President of the United States of America to visit your country.
欧巴马总统:感谢各位。(掌声)Myanmar Naingan, Mingalaba! [缅甸文问候语] (笑声和掌声)我很荣幸来到仰光大学,成为首位到访你们国家的美国总统。

I came here because of the importance of your country.  You live at the crossroads of East and South Asia.  You border the most populated nations on the planet.  You have a history that reaches back thousands of years, and the ability to help determine the destiny of the fastest growing region of the world.
我之所以到这里来,是因为贵国非常重要。你们地处东亚和南亚的交点,与地球上人口最多的国家接壤。你们拥有可追溯几千年的历史,并且有能力帮助决定这个全世界增长最快的地区的前途。

I came here because of the beauty and diversity of your country.  I have seen just earlier today the golden stupa of Shwedagon, and have been moved by the timeless idea of metta -- the belief that our time on this Earth can be defined by tolerance and by love.  And I know this land reaches from the crowded neighborhoods of this old city to the homes of more than 60,000 villages; from the peaks of the Himalayas, the forests of Karen State, to the banks of the Irrawady River.
我之所以到这里来,是因为贵国的美丽和多元。我今天早上刚刚参观了仰光大金寺佛塔,被千古流传的慈经思想深深打动——即相信我们在人世间的时光可由宽容和仁爱来界定。我知道,这片土地从这座古城人口稠密的街区一直延伸到坐落着60,000多个村庄的地方;从喜马拉雅峰巅和克伦邦的丛林一直延伸到伊洛瓦底江岸边。

I came here because of my respect for this university.  It was here at this school where opposition to colonial rule first took hold.  It was here that Aung San edited a magazine before leading an independence movement.  It was here that U Thant learned the ways of the world before guiding it at the United Nations.  Here, scholarship thrived during the last century and students demanded their basic human rights.  Now, your Parliament has at last passed a resolution to revitalize this university and it must reclaim its greatness, because the future of this country will be determined by the education of its youth.
我之所以到这里来,是因为我对这所大学充满敬意。正是在这所大学里,反对殖民统治的斗争首先爆发;正是在这里,后来领导独立运动的昂山编辑了一份杂志;正是在这里,吴丹学习了世界之道,之后在联合国引领世界。在这里,上个世纪是学术繁荣发展、学生积极争取基本人权的时期。现在,你们的国会终于通过了一项振兴这所大学的决议,仰光大学必须重塑辉煌,因为缅甸的未来取决于年轻人的教育。

I came here because of the history between our two countries.  A century ago, American traders, merchants and missionaries came here to build bonds of faith and commerce and friendship.  And from within these borders in World War II, our pilots flew into China and many of our troops gave their lives.  Both of our nations emerged from the British Empire, and the United States was among the first countries to recognize an independent Union of Burma.  We were proud to found an American Center in Rangoon and to build exchanges with schools like this one.  And through decades of differences, Americans have been united in their affection for this country and its people.
我之所以到这里来,是因为我们两国之间的历史纽带。一个世纪以前,美国商人和传教士来到这里缔造起信任、商贸和友谊的纽带。二战期间,美国飞行员从这个国家境内飞到中国,我国许多将士献出了自己的生命。我们两国都是脱离不列颠帝国实现独立的,而且美国是最早承认缅甸联邦独立的国家之一。能在仰光市内建立一所美国中心,而且双方能通过这样的学校展开交流,让我们深感自豪。历经几十年来的种种分歧,美国人一直共同怀有对这个国家及其人民的情感。

Above all, I came here because of America’s belief in human dignity.  Over the last several decades, our two countries became strangers.  But today, I can tell you that we always remained hopeful about the people of this country, about you.  You gave us hope and we bore witness to your courage.
最重要的是,我之所到这里来,是因为美国坚信人类尊严。在过去几十年里,我们两个国家形同陌路。但是今天,我可以说,我们始终对缅甸人民以及在座的各位充满希望。你们给予我们希望,我们则见证你们的勇气。

We saw the activists dressed in white visit the families of political prisoners on Sundays and monks dressed in saffron protesting peacefully in the streets.  We learned of ordinary people who organized relief teams to respond to a cyclone, and heard the voices of students and the beats of hip-hop artists projecting the sound of freedom.  We came to know exiles and refugees who never lost touch with their families or their ancestral home.  And we were inspired by the fierce dignity of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, as she proved that no human being can truly be imprisoned if hope burns in your heart.
我们看到身穿白衣的活动人士在星期天看望政治犯的家属,身披橙红袈裟的僧侣在街头和平示威。我们听到普通百姓组织起飓风救援队伍,我们还听到学生的呼喊和嘻哈艺术家的节拍传出的自由之声。我们结识了从未与他们的家人或家乡失去联系的流亡人士和难民。昂山素季女士强烈的尊严让我们深受鼓舞,她还证明,只要心中燃烧着希望,就没有人能被真正囚禁。

When I took office as President, I sent a message to those governments who ruled by fear.  I said, in my inauguration address, “We will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.”  And over the last year and a half, a dramatic transition has begun, as a dictatorship of five decades has loosened its grip.  Under President Thein Sein, the desire for change has been met by an agenda for reform.  A civilian now leads the government, and a parliament is asserting itself.  The once-outlawed National League for Democracy stood in an election, and Aung San Suu Kyi is a Member of Parliament.  Hundreds of prisoners of conscience have been released, and forced labor has been banned.  Preliminary cease-fires have been reached with ethnic armies, and new laws allow for a more open economy.
在我就任总统时,我向那些用恐吓手段统治人民的政府传递了一条信息。我当时在就职演讲中表示:“只要你们放弃压迫,我们就将伸手相助”。过去一年半以来,随着五十年的独裁统治开始松动,形势开始发生重大转变。在吴登盛总统领导下,改革议程满足了民众的变革愿望。现在由文官领导政府,国会正在行使自己的权利。曾被定为非法的全国民主联盟参加了选举,昂山素季当选为国会议员。数百名良心犯获得释放,强迫劳动已被禁止。已与部族武装达成了初步停火,新法律使经济可以更加开放。

So today, I’ve come to keep my promise and extend the hand of friendship.  America now has an Ambassador in Rangoon, sanctions have been eased, and we will help rebuild an economy that can offer opportunity for its people, and serve as an engine of growth for the world.  But this remarkable journey has just begun, and has much further to go.  Reforms launched from the top of society must meet the aspirations of citizens who form its foundation.  The flickers of progress that we have seen must not be extinguished -- they must be strengthened; they must become a shining North Star for all this nation’s people.
今天,我来到这里,是为了履行我的承诺并伸出友谊之手。美国现已在仰光派驻大使,制裁已经放松,我们将帮助重建经济,从而为人民提供机会,使这里成为世界经济增长的一个引擎。这一非凡旅程才刚刚开始,未来的道路还很漫长。从社会顶层发起的改革必须满足构成社会根基的公民的愿望。我们已经看到的进步之光绝不能熄灭——必须为它添薪加柴;它必须成为这个国家全体人民的闪亮北斗。

And your success in that effort is important to the United States, as well as to me.  Even though we come from different places, we share common dreams:  to choose our leaders; to live together in peace; to get an education and make a good living; to love our families and our communities.  That’s why freedom is not an abstract idea; freedom is the very thing that makes human progress possible -- not just at the ballot box, but in our daily lives.
你们在这一努力中取得的成功对于美国以及我个人都具有重要意义。尽管我们来自不同的地方,但是我们拥有共同的梦想:选择自己的领袖,共同和平生活,接受教育并建立好生活,热爱我们的家人和社区。所以说,自由不是一个抽象的概念;正是自由使人类进步成为可能——不仅仅是在投票之时,而且在我们的日常生活之中。

One of our greatest Presidents in the United States, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, understood this truth.  He defined America’s cause as more than the right to cast a ballot.  He understood democracy was not just voting.  He called upon the world to embrace four fundamental freedoms:  freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear.  These four freedoms reinforce one another, and you cannot fully realize one without realizing them all.
美国最伟大的总统之一——富兰克林?德拉诺?罗斯福理解这一真理。他所界定的美国的事业并不限于投票权。他知道民主并不仅仅是投票,他呼吁全世界提倡四大基本自由:言论自由、信仰自由、免于匮乏的自由和免于恐惧的自由。这四大基本自由相辅相成,不全部付诸实现就不能充分实现其中的任何一项。

So that’s the future that we seek for ourselves, and for all people.  And that is what I want to speak to you about today.
这正是我们要为自己、为全体人民争取的未来。这正是我今天想同在座各位谈到的话题。

First, we believe in the right of free expression so that the voices of ordinary people can be heard, and governments reflect their will -- the people’s will.
首先,我们相信自由表达的权利,以使政府倾听普通民众的呼声,并反映他们的意愿——人民的意愿。

In the United States, for more than two centuries, we have worked to keep this promise for all of our citizens -- to win freedom for those who were enslaved; to extend the right to vote for women and African Americans; to protect the rights of workers to organize.
在美国,两个多世纪以来,我们一直努力信守对全体公民的这一承诺——为受奴役的人们赢得自由,赋予妇女和非洲裔美国人投票权,保护劳工组织结社的权利。

And we recognize no two nations achieve these rights in exactly the same way, but there is no question that your country will be stronger if it draws on the strength of all of its people.  That’s what allows nations to succeed.  That’s what reform has begun to do.
我们认识到,任何两个国家都不会以完全相同的方法实现这些权利,但毫无疑问的是,若能汲取全体人民的力量,你们的国家就会变得更加强大。这是任何一个国家取得成功的前提,也是改革已经做出的努力。

Instead of being repressed, the right of people to assemble together must now be fully respected.  Instead of being stifled, the veil of media censorship must continue to be lifted.  And as you take these steps, you can draw on your progress.  Instead of being ignored, citizens who protested the construction of the Myitsone dam were heard.  Instead of being outlawed, political parties have been allowed to participate.  You can see progress being made.  As one voter said during the parliamentary elections here, “Our parents and grandparents waited for this, but never saw it.”  And now you can see it.  You can taste freedom.
现在必须完全尊重人民集会的权利,而不是予以压制。必须继续掀开媒体审查的面纱,而不是压制窒息。一旦采取这些步骤,便可推动进步。抗议建造密松大坝的民众的意见得到了听取,而未被置之不理。政党已被允许参加选举,而没有遭到取缔。你们能够看到正在取得进步。正如国会选举期间一位选民所说:“我们的父母和祖父母曾等待这一天的到来,但一直都没有等到。”现在,你们能够看到它,能够尝到自由的滋味。

And to protect the freedom of all the voters, those in power must accept constraints.  That’s what our American system is designed to do.  Now, America may have the strongest military in the world, but it must submit to civilian control.  I, as the President of the United States, make determinations that the military then carries out, not the other way around.  As President and Commander-In-Chief, I have that responsibility because I’m accountable to the people.
为保护全体选民的自由,当权者必须接受约束。这正是我们美国的政治制度的宗旨。美国也许拥有世界上最强大的军事力量,但它必须服从文官政府的控制。我作为美国总统,下达命令由军队执行,而不是听命于军队。作为总统和三军统帅,我承担此项责任,因为我必须对人民负责。

Now, on other hand, as President, I cannot just impose my will on Congress -- the Congress of the United States -- even though sometimes I wish I could.  The legislative branch has its own powers and its own prerogatives, and so they check my power and balance my power.  I appoint some of our judges, but I cannot tell them how to rule, because every person in America -- from a child living in poverty to me, the President of the United States -- is equal under the law.  And a judge can make a determination as to whether or not I am upholding the law or breaking the law.  And I am fully accountable to that law.
同时,从另一方面讲,作为总统,我无法将我的意志强加给国会——美国国会,尽管有时我希望我能这样做。立法分支拥有自己的权力和特权,以此来制衡我的权力。我任命一些法官,但却不能告诉他们如何裁决,因为在美国,从生活贫困的儿童到我这位美国总统,在法律面前人人平等。而且法官有权裁定我是遵守法律还是违反法律。我必须完全对法律负责。

And I describe our system in the United States because that’s how you must reach for the future that you deserve -- a future where a single prisoner of conscience is one too many.  You need to reach for a future where the law is stronger than any single leader, because it’s accountable to the people.  You need to reach for a future where no child is made to be a soldier and no woman is exploited, and where the laws protect them even if they’re vulnerable, even if they’re weak; a future where national security is strengthened by a military that serves under civilians and a Constitution that guarantees that only those who are elected by the people may govern.
我描述美国政治制度的原因在于,这正是你们必须争取实现你们理应得到的美好未来的途径——一个不再有任何一个良心犯的未来。你们必须争取实现一个法律高于任何一个领导者的未来,因为法律对人民负责。你们要为这样一个未来奋斗,即儿童不会被强迫当兵,妇女不会遭受剥削,法律为弱势无助的人提供保护;一个将由听命于文官的军队和确保只有民选官员才能执政的宪法来加强国家安全的未来。

On that journey, America will support you every step of the way -- by using our assistance to empower civil society; by engaging your military to promote professionalism and human rights; and by partnering with you as you connect your progress towards democracy with economic development.  So advancing that journey will help you pursue a second freedom -- the belief that all people should be free from want.
在这个旅程中,美国将支持你们迈出的每一步——通过帮助加强公民社会、通过与贵国军队交往以增进职业素质和人权,并在贵国把经济发展与民主进步联系起来的过程中与贵国结成伙伴关系。因此,推动这一进程将有助你们追求第二项自由——相信全体人民都应当拥有免于匮乏的自由。

It’s not enough to trade a prison of powerlessness for the pain of an empty stomach.  But history shows that governments of the people and by the people and for the people are far more powerful in delivering prosperity.  And that’s the partnership we seek with you.
推翻一座吞噬力量的监牢只换来食不果腹的痛苦是不行的。但历史表明,民有民治民享的政府实现经济繁荣的力量要大得多。而这正是我们寻求与你们建立的伙伴关系。

When ordinary people have a say in their own future, then your land can’t just be taken away from you.  And that’s why reforms must ensure that the people of this nation can have that most fundamental of possessions -- the right to own the title to the land on which you live and on which you work.
一旦普通人对自己的未来拥有发言权,你们的土地就不可能被夺走。这正是改革必须确保贵国人民能够拥有最基本的所有权——你们在那里生活和工作的土地的所有权的原因。

When your talents are unleashed, then opportunity will be created for all people.  America is lifting our ban on companies doing business here, and your government has lifted restrictions on investment and taken steps to open up your economy.  And now, as more wealth flows into your borders, we hope and expect that it will lift up more people.  It can’t just help folks at the top.  It has to help everybody.  And that kind of economic growth, where everybody has opportunity -- if you work hard, you can succeed -- that’s what gets a nation moving rapidly when it comes to develop.
你们的才华一旦得到发挥,就会为全体人民创造机会。美国正在解除对公司企业来这里经商的禁令,贵国政府也已解除对投资的限制,并已积极采取措施开放经济。随着越来越多的财富流入你们的国境,我们希望并期待这将提高更多人的生活水平。这不能仅仅有助于顶层人士,而是必须有助于每一个人。而且这样的经济增长,即人人都有机会——只要努力工作就能成功——正是推动一个国家迅速发展的动力。

But that kind of growth can only be created if corruption is left behind.  For investment to lead to opportunity, reform must promote budgets that are transparent and industry that is privately owned.
但必须铲除腐败才能实现这样的增长。若要让投资带来机会,改革就必须推动制定透明的预算并促进私有企业的发展。

To lead by example, America now insists that our companies meet high standards of openness and transparency if they’re doing business here.  And we’ll work with organizations like the World Bank to support small businesses and to promote an economy that allows entrepreneurs, small businesspeople to thrive and allows workers to keep what they earn.  And I very much welcome your government’s recent decision to join what we’ve called our Open Government Partnership, so that citizens can come to expect accountability and learn exactly how monies are spent and how your system of government operates.
美国以身作则,坚决要求美国公司必须达到公开性和透明度的高标准才能在这里经商。我们将与世界银行等机构合作,为小企业提供支持并推动发展允许创业者和小企业主大显身手并让工人保有其劳动所得的经济。我非常欢迎贵国政府最近决定加入我们所称的开放政府伙伴关系,从而使公民能够依靠问责制,并确切了解款项的用途以及你们的政府体系的运作方式。

Above all, when your voices are heard in government, it’s far more likely that your basic needs will be met.  And that’s why reform must reach the daily lives of those who are hungry and those who are ill, and those who live without electricity or water.  And here, too, America will do our part in working with you.
最重要的是,政府一旦听到你们的呼声,你们的基本需求便更有可能得到满足。这也就是为什么改革必须给饥饿的人、患病的人以及缺电缺水的人的日常生活带来改变。美国也将在这方面尽自己的力量与你们共同努力。

Today, I was proud to reestablish our USAID mission in this country, which is our lead development agency.  And the United States wants to be a partner in helping this country, which used to be the rice bowl of Asia, to reestablish its capacity to feed its people and to care for its sick, and educate its children, and build its democratic institutions as you continue down the path of reform.
今天,我非常荣耀地在贵国重建美国国际开发署工作处,这是我们的主要发展机构。美国希望成为这个曾经是亚洲粮仓的国家的合作伙伴,在贵国沿改革道路继续前进的同时,重建能力,做到让人民吃饱饭,让病患有医疗,让儿童受教育,并建立起民主的机制。

This country is famous for its natural resources, and they must be protected against exploitation.  And let us remember that in a global economy, a country’s greatest resource is its people.  So by investing in you, this nation can open the door for far more prosperity -- because unlocking a nation’s potential depends on empowering all its people, especially its young people.
贵国以丰富的自然资源著称,必须保护它们不遭到滥用。让我们牢记,在全球经济中,一个国家最重要的资源是其人民。通过投资于你们,这个国家能够打开通向更加繁荣的大门——因为发挥国家潜力取决于增强全体国民的能力,尤其是年轻人的能力。

Just as education is the key to America’s future, it is going to be the key to your future as well.  And so we look forward to working with you, as we have with many of your neighbors, to extend that opportunity and to deepen exchanges among our students.  We want students from this country to travel to the United States and learn from us, and we want U.S. students to come here and learn from you.
正如教育是美国未来繁荣的关键一样,它也将是你们未来繁荣的关键。因此,正如我们已经与你们的许多邻邦所做的那样,我们期待着与你们一道,扩大和深化我们学生之间的交流。我们希望贵国的学生前往美国学习,同时也希望美国学生来这里学习。

And this truth leads me to the third freedom that I want to discuss:  the freedom to worship -- the freedom to worship as you please, and your right to basic human dignity.
由此引出我想谈的第三项自由:信仰自由,即按照你们的意愿去信仰的自由,你们享有人的基本尊严的权利。

This country, like my own country, is blessed with diversity.  Not everybody looks the same.  Not everybody comes from the same region.  Not everybody worships in the same way.  In your cities and towns, there are pagodas and temples, and mosques and churches standing side by side.  Well over a hundred ethnic groups have been a part of your story.  Yet within these borders, we’ve seen some of the world’s longest running insurgencies, which have cost countless lives, and torn families and communities apart, and stood in the way of development.
与美国一样,贵国有幸也是一个多元国家。大家不都是同一长相,不都是来自同一地区,不都是尊崇同一信仰。在贵国的城市乡镇,佛塔与寺庙,清真寺与教堂并排而立。贵国历史包含着100多个族裔群体。然而,就在这些国境线之内,我们目睹了一些全世界持续时间最长的反叛活动,夺去无数人的生命,分裂了无数家庭和社区,阻碍了发展。

No process of reform will succeed without national reconciliation.  (Applause.)  You now have a moment of remarkable opportunity to transform cease-fires into lasting settlements, and to pursue peace where conflicts still linger, including in Kachin State.  Those efforts must lead to a more just and lasting peace, including humanitarian access to those in need, and a chance for the displaced to return home.
没有民族和解,改革进程就不会成功。(掌声)你们现在拥有绝佳良机,将停火转变为持久的解决方案,在包括克钦邦在内的依然存在冲突的地区促进和平。这些努力必须通向更加公正和持久的和平,包括能够为有需要的人送去人道援助,使流离失所的人有机会返回家园。

Today, we look at the recent violence in Rakhine State that has caused so much suffering, and we see the danger of continued tensions there.  For too long, the people of this state, including ethnic Rakhine, have faced crushing poverty and persecution.  But there is no excuse for violence against innocent people.  And the Rohingya hold themselves -- hold within themselves the same dignity as you do, and I do.
今天,我们看到若开邦最近发生的暴力事件造成了如此巨大的痛苦,我们看到那里紧张局势持续发展带来的危险。长久以来,这个邦的人民,包括若开族,面临极度贫穷和迫害。但是,绝没有借口用武力对付无辜的民众。罗兴亚族人与你我一样拥有自己的尊严。

National reconciliation will take time, but for the sake of our common humanity, and for the sake of this country’s future, it is necessary to stop incitement and to stop violence.  And I welcome the government’s commitment to address the issues of injustice and accountability, and humanitarian access and citizenship.  That’s a vision that the world will support as you move forward.
实现民族和解需要时间,但为了我们共同的人性和这个国家的未来,必须停止煽动并制止暴力。我对缅甸政府在处理不公正和问责问题上以及在提供人道援助和公民权方面作出的承诺,表示欢迎。在你们向前迈进的过程中,这一愿景将得到全世界的支持。

Every nation struggles to define citizenship.  America has had great debates about these issues, and those debates continue to this day, because we’re a nation of immigrants -- people coming from every different part of the world.  But what we’ve learned in the United States is that there are certain principles that are universal, apply to everybody no matter what you look like, no matter where you come from, no matter what religion you practice.  The right of people to live without the threat that their families may be harmed or their homes may be burned simply because of who they are or where they come from.
每个民族都要努力界定公民的含义。由于美国是一个移民国家——人民来自世界各地,我们围绕这些问题有过重大辩论,而且辩论一直持续至今。但是,我们在美国学到,某些原则是放之四海而皆准的,适用于所有人——不分外貌、不分祖籍,不分有什么样的信仰。人人都有权利在生活中不因自己的身份或背景而遭受家庭被伤害或家园被烧毁的威胁。

Only the people of this country ultimately can define your union, can define what it means to be a citizen of this country.  But I have confidence that as you do that you can draw on this diversity as a strength and not a weakness.  Your country will be stronger because of many different cultures, but you have to seize that opportunity.  You have to recognize that strength.
只有这个国家中的人民才能最终界定你们这个联合体,界定作为这个国家的公民的含义。但是我相信,在这样做的过程中,你们能够将这种多元作为一种可以汲取的力量——而不是缺陷。贵国将因为具有多种不同文化而更强大,但是你们必须抓住这一机会。你们必须认识到这种力量。

I say this because my own country and my own life have taught me the power of diversity.  The United States of America is a nation of Christians and Jews, and Muslims and Buddhists, and Hindus and non-believers.  Our story is shaped by every language; it’s enriched by every culture.  We have people from every corners of the world.  We’ve tasted the bitterness of civil war and segregation, but our history shows us that hatred in the human heart can recede; that the lines between races and tribes fade away.  And what’s left is a simple truth: e pluribus unum -- that’s what we say in America.  Out of many, we are one nation and we are one people.  And that truth has, time and again, made our union stronger.  It has made our country stronger.  It’s part of what has made America great.
我之所以这样说,是因为我自己的国家和我个人的人生经历教我认识到多元的力量。美利坚合众国是一个由基督教徒、犹太人、穆斯林和佛教徒、印度教徒以及无宗教信仰者组成的国家。我国的历史由各种语言塑造;因每一种文化而增色生辉。我们的人民来自世界各地。我们尝受了内战和种族隔离的痛苦,但我们的历史表明,人们心中的仇恨能够化解,种族和部落之间的隔阂会逐渐消失。而剩下的即是一个朴素的真理:合众为一——这是我们美国的格言。芸芸众生,合为一国,合为一国之人。这一真理一次又一次地使我们这个整体更强大,使我们的国家更强大。它是使美国强盛的一个因素。

We amended our Constitution to extend the democratic principles that we hold dear.  And I stand before you today as President of the most powerful nation on Earth, but recognizing that once the color of my skin would have denied me the right to vote.  And so that should give you some sense that if our country can transcend its differences, then yours can, too.  Every human being within these borders is a part of your nation’s story, and you should embrace that.  That’s not a source of weakness, that’s a source of strength -- if you recognize it.
我们修订过宪法,以扩大我们所珍视的民主原则。今天,我作为世界上最强大国家的总统站在各位面前,但我认识到,我曾经会因自己的肤色而被剥夺投票权。因此,这应该能让大家感到,如果我的国家能够超越分歧,那么你们的国家也能够。贵国境内的每一个人都是你们国家历史的一部分,你们应该欣然肯定这点。这不是软弱之源,这是力量之源——如果人们能够认识到这点的话。

And that brings me to the final freedom that I will discuss today, and that is the right of all people to live free from fear.
于是引到我今天要讨论的最后一项自由,即人们过没有恐惧的生活的权利。

In many ways, fear is the force that stands between human beings and their dreams.  Fear of conflict and the weapons of war.  Fear of a future that is different from the past.  Fear of changes that are reordering our societies and economy.  Fear of people who look different, or come from a different place, or worship in a different way.  In some of her darkest moments, when Aung San Suu Kyi was imprisoned, she wrote an essay about freedom from fear.  She said fear of losing corrupts those who wield it -- “Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it.”
从许多方面而言,恐惧是挡在人和他们的理想之间的障碍。对冲突和战争武器的恐惧;对未来将与过去不同的恐惧;对正在改变我们的社会和经济秩序的变革的恐惧;对外貌不一样、来自不同地方或持不同宗教信仰的人的恐惧。昂山素季女士在她被囚禁的最黑暗时期,写了一篇谈无所畏惧的文章。她说,对失去的恐惧腐蚀了那些拥有者——“对失去权力的恐惧使掌权者堕落,对权力祸害的恐惧使受置于权力的人被扭曲。”

That’s the fear that you can leave behind.  We see that chance in leaders who are beginning to understand that power comes from appealing to people’s hopes, not people’s fears.  We see it in citizens who insist that this time must be different, that this time change will come and will continue.  As Aung San Suu Kyi wrote: “Fear is not the natural state of civilized man.”  I believe that.  And today, you are showing the world that fear does not have to be the natural state of life in this country.
这种恐惧你们尽可抛弃。在那些开始理解权力来源于让人们充满希望而不是充满恐惧的领导人那里,我们看到了这种可能。在那些坚持认为此次必有不同,认为此次变革必将来临且必将继续的公民那里,我们看到了这种可能。正如昂山素季女士所写道的:“恐惧不是文明人的自然状态。”我对此深信不疑。今天,贵国正向世界展示,恐惧不必是这个国家生活的自然状态。

That’s why I am here.  That’s why I came to Rangoon.  And that’s why what happens here is so important -- not only to this region, but to the world.  Because you’re taking a journey that has the potential to inspire so many people.  This is a test of whether a country can transition to a better place.
这正是我来到这里的原因。这正是我来到仰光的原因。这也是这里所发生的一切为何如此重要的原因——不仅仅对这个地区,而且对整个世界。因为贵国正在踏上的旅程有可能激励许许多多人。这是对一个国家能否变得更美好的检验。

The United States of America is a Pacific nation, and we see our future as bound to those nations and peoples to our West.  And as our economy recovers, this is where we believe we will find enormous growth.  As we have ended the wars that have dominated our foreign policy for a decade, this region will be a focus for our efforts to build a prosperous peace.
美利坚合众国是一个太平洋国家,我们视自己的未来与我们西面的国家和人民紧密相连。随着我们经济的复苏,这里是我们认为将看到巨大增长的地方。随着我们结束10年来占据我国外交政策主要精力的战争,这个地区将成为我们努力建设繁荣与和平的重点。

Here in Southeast Asia, we see the potential for integration among nations and people.  And as President, I have embraced ASEAN for reasons that go beyond the fact that I spent some of my childhood in this region, in Indonesia.  Because with ASEAN, we see nations that are on the move -- nations that are growing, and democracies that are emerging; governments that are cooperating; progress that’s building on the diversity that spans oceans and islands and jungles and cities, peoples of every race and every religion.  This is what the 21st century should look like if we have the courage to put aside our differences and move forward with a sense of mutual interest and mutual respect.
在东南亚,我们看到国家和人民之间一体化的潜力。作为总统,我拥护东南亚国家联盟,这不仅因为我曾在这一地区,在印度尼西亚,度过一段童年时光,而是因为在东盟这里,我们看到各国在发展——各国在增长,民主在兴起,政府在展开合作,建立在多元基础上的进步正穿越海洋和岛屿,遍及丛林与城市,扩大到每一个种族和宗教的人民。只要我们鼓起勇气搁置分歧,心系共同利益,本着互相尊重向前迈进,这便是21世纪应有的面貌。

And here in Rangoon, I want to send a message across Asia: We don’t need to be defined by the prisons of the past.  We need to look forward to the future.  To the leadership of North Korea, I have offered a choice:  let go of your nuclear weapons and choose the path of peace and progress.  If you do, you will find an extended hand from the United States of America.
现在在仰光,我想向整个亚洲传递一个信息:我们无需受制于历史的“牢笼”。我们需要展望未来。对于北韩的领导人,我提供了一个选择:放弃你们的核武器并选择一条和平进步的大道。如果你们这么做,你们将看到美利坚合众国伸出的援手。

In 2012, we don’t need to cling to the divisions of East, West and North and South.  We welcome the peaceful rise of China, your neighbor to the North; and India, your neighbor to the West.  The United Nations -- the United States will work with any nation, large or small, that will contribute to a world that is more peaceful and more prosperous, and more just and more free.  And the United States will be a friend to any nation that respects the rights of its citizens and the responsibilities of international law.  
时值2012年,我们无需墨守东西方以及南北方的分界。我们欢迎位于你们北面的邻国中国和你们西边的邻国印度的和平崛起。联合国——美国将与为实现一个更加和平繁荣以及更加公正和自由的世界作贡献的任何大小国家合作。美国将会与任何尊重其公民权利和其国际法责任的国家做朋友。

That’s the nation, that’s the world that you can start to build here in this historic city.  This nation that’s been so isolated can show the world the power of a new beginning, and demonstrate once again that the journey to democracy goes hand in hand with development.  I say this knowing that there are still countless people in this country who do not enjoy the opportunities that many of you seated here do.  There are tens of millions who have no electricity.  There are prisoners of conscience who still await release.  There are refugees and displaced peoples in camps where hope is still something that lies on the distant horizon.
你们可以在这个历史悠久的城市开始建设这样的国家,创造这样的世界。这个曾经如此孤立的国家可以向世界展示新开端的威力,并再次表明,通向民主的道路与发展紧密相连。我在说这些话时深知,贵国还有无数人并未享有在座各位所享有的机会;还有数千万人用不上电;还有等待释放的良心犯;还有许多难民和无家可归的人置身难民营,对他们来说,希望仍在遥远的地平线上。

Today, I say to you -- and I say to everybody that can hear my voice -- that the United States of America is with you, including those who have been forgotten, those who are dispossessed, those who are ostracized, those who are poor.  We carry your story in our heads and your hopes in our hearts, because in this 21st century with the spread of technology and the breaking down of barriers, the frontlines of freedom are within nations and individuals, not simply between them.
今天,我要对你们说——我要对所有能听到我讲话的人说——美国与你们同在,包括那些被遗忘的人、那些无依无靠的人、那些受排斥的人和那些贫困的人。我们会牢记你们的经历,我们会心系你们的希望,因为在这个技术传播和壁垒坍塌的21世纪,自由的战线就在国家和个人自身内,而不仅仅是在互相之间。

As one former prisoner put it in speaking to his fellow citizens, “Politics is your job.  It’s not only for [the] politicians.”  And we have an expression in the United States that the most important office in a democracy is the office of citizen -- not President, not Speaker, but citizen.  (Applause.)
正如一位前囚犯在对同胞讲话时所说:“政治是你们的工作。而不只是政治家的事情。” 在美国,我们有一种说法,民主国家中最重要的公职是公民——不是总统,不是议会议长,而是公民。(掌声)

So as extraordinary and difficult and challenging and sometimes frustrating as this journey may seem, in the end, you, the citizens of this country, are the ones who must define what freedom means.  You’re the ones who are going to have to seize freedom, because a true revolution of the spirit begins in each of our hearts.  It requires the kind of courage that so many of your leaders have already displayed.
因此,尽管这一旅程可能非同寻常、充满坎坷和挑战、有时令人产生挫折感,但是最终,必须由你们,这个国家的公民,来定出自由的含义。自由要靠你们去把握,因为真正的精神革命源于我们每人的心中。它需要你们的很多领袖已展示出的那种勇气。

The road ahead will be marked by huge challenges, and there will be those who resist the forces of change.  But I stand here with confidence that something is happening in this country that cannot be reversed, and the will of the people can lift up this nation and set a great example for the world.  And you will have in the United States of America a partner on that long journey.  So, cezu tin bad de.  (Applause.)
前面的道路会充满巨大挑战,也会有人抵制变革的力量。但是,我站在这里充满信心——这个国家发生着某种不可逆转的变化,而人民的意志能够让这个国家崛起并为世界树立一个伟大的榜样。在这条漫长的道路上,美国将是你们的伙伴。cezu tin bad de。(掌声)

Thank you.  (Applause.)
谢谢大家。(掌声)

导航:[上一篇下一篇] - [返回]
[本主题共0回复 | 每页显示30回复]

按用户名:  按标题:   按内容:       包括所有回复
【首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 回复:双语阅读:奥巴马总统在仰光大学的演讲
标题:
    未登录!    

内容:
UBB:
匿名:×
专区:×
上传:×

我们提供15个国家/地区的留学服务。您可以通过我们免费申请海外的10所大学,但是每个国家最多只能申请8所。免费申请的国家包括:英国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大)。收费申请的国家包括:美国 / 香港 / 澳门 / 新加坡 / 爱尔兰 / 德国 / 荷兰 / 丹麦 / 瑞典 / 西班牙 / 马耳他 。海外大学查找

我们提供英国 / 美国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大 / 爱尔兰的幼儿园,小学,初中,高中的私立学校(也称私校或独立学校)申请。海外私校查找

我们是英国签证移民署授权的顾问,我们提供各类英国签证和移民服务。签证类型和价格

我们的课程辅导补习覆盖英国的小学,初中,高中,大学,以及各类语言,备考,艺术辅导。辅导类型和价格

我们提供英国语言学校以及夏令营的申请服务。 语言学校查找 夏令营查找