用户名: 密码:    
切换为不分页显示
【论坛首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 主题:英文中"When pigs fly"是什么意思?

字体:    回复
英文中"When pigs fly"是什么意思?
ares(2012/1/27 22:31:44)  点击:53083  回复:0  IP:113.* * *
"When pigs fly" ?what it means in English
英文中"When pigs fly"是什么意思? (中英对照 )

"When pigs fly?"在字面上是没什么意思的。何时猪长了翅膀?然而,对于一位外籍人士来说就完全到味了。when pigs fly是一句是非常棒的惯用语,或实际所要表达的意思完全不同于字面上的意思。让我们来看看这些好玩的惯用语吧!

When pigs fly

猪不会飞!这是不可能准确表示其意思。例如:你听过某人说:「Do you think Mary will quit her job now that she's pregnant?」另一个人则回答:「Yeah, when pigs fly! There is no way she is giving up her career!」当他/她使用这个表达方式when pigs fly意思是说Mary要辞去她的职务是不可能的事情。

Get in someone's hair

如果你get in someone's hair,你还没有爬到他们的头上,反而它的意思是说打扰他们-如果是侵犯到他们个人的空间。例如:"Susan was trying to prepare dinner, but her children were getting in her hair!"这个意思是Susan的孩子们在她煮菜的时候打扰她。如果某人打扰你,你可以告诉他们:「Get out of my hair!」

Hit the ceiling

天花板离我们的头有一段距离,所以要碰到它并不容易-除非你在生气!如果某人hits the ceiling意思是说他们的反应非常生气。例如:「When Carol's son got an F on his report card, she hit the ceiling!」意思是说Carol大发雷霆,当她的儿子功课太差。

Bite the bullet

子弹的味道如何,如果你尝试要咬一口?不是非常好的。那为什么有人还会bite the bullet呢?他们会这样做是因为他们非常勇敢忍受或肯面对困难情况。例如:「She had to bite the bullet and give in to her boss's unreasonable demands.」意思是她很勇敢的面对她的老板不公平的要求。

Drive someone up a wall

车子无法开到墙上,那谁可以drive you up a wall呢?当某人恼怒你时,你就有可能!例如:「My mom is driving me up a wall! She won't ever let me stay out late.」意思是要面对我妈就感到极度生气,她不让我在外面逗留太晚。

"When pigs fly?" Now that just doesn't make sense. When did pigs grow wings? Yet, to a native English speaker, it makes total sense. The phrase when pigs fly is a great example of an idiom, or an expression that has a meaning completely different from that of the words of which it is composed. Let's take a look at some amusing idioms!

When pigs fly
Pig's can't fly! It's impossible, which is precisely what the expression means. For example, you hear someone say, "Do you think Mary will quit her job now that she's pregnant?" Another person responds, "Yeah, when pigs fly! There is no way she is giving up her career!" When he or she used the expression when pigs fly, it means that it's impossible that Mary will quit her job.

Get in someone's hair
If you get in someone's hair, you haven't climbed up onto their head! Instead, it means you are bothering them ?perhaps invading their personal space. For example, "Susan was trying to prepare dinner, but her children were getting in her hair!" This means Susan's kids were bothering her when she was cooking. If someone is bothering you, you can tell them, "Get out of my hair!"

Hit the ceiling
The ceiling is quite far above our heads, so it's not easy to hit it ?unless you're angry! If someone hits the ceiling it means they are reacting very angrily. For example, "When Carol's son got an F on his report card, she hit the ceiling!" This mean Carol was furious when her son failed a class.

Knock someone's socks off
Now, it might be possible to pull someone's socks off ?but how do you knock them off? By impressing and exciting them of course! For example, "You should see Tom's new car! It'll knock your socks off, it's so amazing!" This means Tom's car is very impressive!

Bite the bullet
How would a bullet taste if you tried to bite it? Not very good. So why does someone bite the bullet? They do it when they bravely endure or face a difficult situation. For example, "She had to bite the bullet and give in to her boss's unreasonable demands." This means she acted bravely when faced with her boss's unfair requests.

Drive someone up a wall
Cars can't drive up walls, so who can drive you up a wall? Someone who is annoying you can! For example, "My mom is driving me up a wall! She won't ever let me stay out late." This means that I am greatly annoyed by the fact my mother won't allow me to stay out late.

导航:[上一篇下一篇] - [返回]
[本主题共0回复 | 每页显示30回复]

按用户名:  按标题:   按内容:       包括所有回复
【首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 回复:英文中"When pigs fly"是什么意思?
标题:
    未登录!    

内容:
UBB:
匿名:×
专区:×
上传:×

我们提供15个国家/地区的留学服务。您可以通过我们免费申请海外的10所大学,但是每个国家最多只能申请8所。免费申请的国家包括:英国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大)。收费申请的国家包括:美国 / 香港 / 澳门 / 新加坡 / 爱尔兰 / 德国 / 荷兰 / 丹麦 / 瑞典 / 西班牙 / 马耳他 。海外大学查找

我们提供英国 / 美国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大 / 爱尔兰的幼儿园,小学,初中,高中的私立学校(也称私校或独立学校)申请。海外私校查找

我们是英国签证移民署授权的顾问,我们提供各类英国签证和移民服务。签证类型和价格

我们的课程辅导补习覆盖英国的小学,初中,高中,大学,以及各类语言,备考,艺术辅导。辅导类型和价格

我们提供英国语言学校以及夏令营的申请服务。 语言学校查找 夏令营查找